Conversations With Dad

“Struggles in life make you stronger.”- Fitzroy Campbell
My dad, Fitzroy is in his eighty sixth year. Yes, sometimes I cannot believe it myself. As an octogenarian my dad is alert and sharp minded.  Dad was born in Top Pen in the parish of St. Mary to Zephaniah and Louise. Dad grew up in a Baptist family. His father, Zephaniah Adolfus Campbell and his mother, Louise Maud Taylor- Campbell produced nine (9) children in the marriage.  ‘Mama Lou’ as grandmother was affectionately called came from Davis Town, Chalky Hill district in the parish of St. Ann.  I wanted to do something different this Father’s Day.  I decided to listen and write a bit of my dad’s story. I sat down with my dad in our living room and asked him to share aspects of his early life and he was delighted to do so. At times I had to remind him to slow it down given I was writing the information. His beginnings were humble and this was true of most Jamaicans especially those of African descent. “The house was made from wood. It had about 3 or 4 bedrooms, a hall where everyone would eat and a verandah. The bathroom was outside.” Dad grew up in a large family, consisting of 6 sisters and 2 brothers. He is the eldest of the boys; sadly. one of his brothers Melbourne died earlier this year in the United Kingdom. In addition to his siblings at home both parents had one child before the union. His mom’s first child Evelyn currently lives in the United Kingdom and his dad fathered a daughter, Agatha. My grandfather, Mass Zephie as he was affectionately called was a farmer and businessman. My dad recalls that his father had a few cows, donkeys, pigs and of course goats. Dad said he and his brothers Melbourne and Barrington had to attend to the animals before they went to school in the morning. Grandfather raised goats and would butcher the animals as the demand presented itself. Grandfather would travel to Kingston to sell the goat skin. Dad said being the eldest boy he would accompany his dad to Kingston. They would travel by truck to sell their goods of pimento, chocolate and ‘bissy’. ‘Bissy’ is often used to counter poison. My dad recalls that the truck would sometimes have between 30-40 bags of pimento. “He (grandfather) would use the money to buy 12 and a half pounds of sugar, cornmeal, flour, rice and candy.” I asked dad why candy, he said, “to give the old people back in the country.” My grandfather was a generous man.  Fitzroy recounted that his mom was a dressmaker. “She had a Singer sewing machine.” Dad said his mom made school uniforms and clothes for the people in the district. Dad spoke of the special bonding he had with his mother. He added, “the relationship couldn’t be better, I got along very well with my mother.” Perhaps this stems from my dad being the eldest son. I accompanied my mother to the Guy’s Hill and Oracabessa Markets.”  When asked what food items were taken to the market to be sold, he replied, “bananas, yam, breadfruit and pears.”  I remember as a youngster grandmother would come to Kingston and stayed with us. I felt the warm embrace of mother and son then.  “Life was great.”   Dad smiled when he mentioned life was great. He explained that he did not have to buy clothes, pay rent or buy food. His tone of voice changed when he recounted that at about age 10 his father bought him a mouth organ. He cherished this gift from his dad and he would play his organ as often as he could.   
Early Education  
Dad remembers that his first school was an infant school at the Seventh Day Adventist Church close to home. He recalls vividly standing on boxes at Sunday school in order to recite Bible verses. The boy who had to stand on boxes grew into a man over 6 feet tall. At age 7 my dad attended the Mount Angus Primary School. By the time he started Mount Angus School he had too older siblings, Mabel and Murdell who were attending the school. Dad walked barefooted to school. " I would wash my feet good and rub some coconut oil on and walk to school." Only the children of the rich could afford shoes. In those early days there were no CSEC or CAPE examinations. At Fourth Standard, dad said he went to Fellowship Hall School where his formal education ended. Dad did not follow his father footsteps into farming. “I did not like the bush thing.” I suspect his mother realized this early and sought out opportunities for him to learn a trade as was normal in those days. His mom accompanied him to seek employment at a garage in the October of the year he finished with school, however, he was told that they could not accept him until the January of the following year. Dad said his mom spoke with a sanitation inspector who in those days inspected pit latrines. It was very common for folks to have outside toilets in those days; it was customary for sanitation inspectors to visit to ensure standards. It was the inspector who told my grandmother that she should try Port Maria with dad.
Life as a Mechanic
He was accepted at Clementson and Beckford Garage where he began his career as an auto mechanic. Dad said he spent 7 and a half years at that garage.  “On my first day, I helped the other mechanics to wash some parts with kerosene and water.”  Life was not easy at this time. Dad said he had to walk 16 miles to and from the garage daily. “I did this for 9 months.” When the 9 months ended his older sister Mabel who was living in Kingston, bought him a bicycle and sent it on the market truck. “I collected my bicycle at Dressike.” Life became a bit easier then. “It was like a Benz mi get.” dad recounts happily. “At first I could not ride the bicycle but I learnt the hang of it quickly.” Dad mentioned that some people in his district told him that he would not make anything in life, however, he was determined and he proved them wrong. Dad recalls that his father gave him 2 and 6 pence daily, however, after his first pay cheque grandfather gave him no more money. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to meet my grandfather Mass Zephie but by listening to my dad it seems as if our spirits cross paths. One of the moments my dad cherishes until today was meeting his grandmother. He remembers with a sense of joy that meeting in St. Ann.  He recounts at he must have been around 10 years old. His grandmother last words to him were, if I don’t see you on Earth again try and meet me in the Kingdom of Heaven.” He says those words spoken by his grandmother; my great grandmother more than seventy years ago still comforts his soul.  Dad said after he left St. Mary he journeyed to Kingston in search of work. His first job was at a garage on Henderson Road, however, this was short-lived. “I left the garage half day. “I asked the owner how I would be paid.” He said the owner’s response was not satisfactory and he called it a day. “I spent 13 weeks riding my bicycle in Kingston in search of a job.” He said he had planted some tomatoes at his family's home in St. Mary and his mother sold them and banked his money at the Post Office bank. “My mother would send money to me while I was not working.” This was what helped me during the period I was looking a job.” Dad stated that he found employment at Rambarna Garage which was located at 6 Howard Avenue. My dad said Rambarna Garage was an affiliate of Kingston Industrial Garage (KIG). It must be noted that back in the days KIG was one of the most prominent garages in Jamaica.  Dad had a few encouraging words during our conversations. “If you ask God Almighty for anything and believe He will give it to you.”. “ I spent 11 years and 5 months at Rambarna Garage.  Dad was always and still is passionate about cars. Once per week he still does oil check on my 1999 Nissan Sunny.  He recalls that while there he started doing something for himself. ‘On weekends and in the evenings I would repair old cars which I bought and sell them.”  Dad added that he always dreamt of having even a 1 bedroom house where he could work on cars.  His dream became a reality when he bought his house on Solitaire Road where Campbell’s Garage started.    
Rough Side of the Mountain
Dad stated, he came up on the terrible rough side of the mountain, “but I enjoyed it.” When asked if he ever considered migrating. He shared that he went to the Canadian High Commission when they were located on King Street. After the interview, the officer asked him for the name of one person he knew in Canada, dad knew no one in Canada and as a result he was denied the opportunity. Interestingly, most of his sibling including his two older siblings went to Canada. Our father is a great dad. He provided for his family. We never went to bed hungry.  I recall fondly those Sunday evening when as children we would listen for the ice-cream man riding his bicycle. As soon we heard his horn we would stop him and dad would give us money to buy ice cream cone. If any other child was visiting he would also buy them an ice-cream. I remember warmly those afternoons when my mom Vinette, dad and my younger brother Steve and my sister Peaches and I would get into dad’s 1969 Chevrolet Malibu and dad would drive us to the Norman Manley International Airport. The airport at that time had a waving gallery. Upstairs was where the action was as we watched the airplanes land and take off. Of course Air Jamaica was the pride and joy.  Dad was also generous to the children of his sisters as he shared with me during our Father’s Day chat. Education was very important to my dad.  He would give us his last dollar for us to go to school and or to buy school supplies. We were not rich but we had a rich life.  I can see dad is slowing down a bit. I thanked God that I am here for him during his twilight years.  Dad I wish you many more father’s day.  My Bible verse for you dad comes from Psalm 37:25, I have been young, and now am old; Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, Nor his descendants begging bread.
In the words of my dad, Fitzroy, if God Almighty don’t bless you, you cannot be blessed. Happy Father’s Day Dad!
#FathersDay  #FitzroyCampbell
©

Comments

  1. This is so heartwarming as I take the walk down this memory lane. Parts of this story reminds me oh so much of my dad's experiences that he had shared with me. These are precious memories Mr Campbell. I know you will cherish them. May God bless your dad continually as He satisfies him with long and healthy life. With God in his heart he is overcoming every storm.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Promoting Literacy For A World In Transition

The Psychology Of Dunce

Israel Hamas War