Fourteen Days to Life

Ever since my colleague and friend shared his news I have had knots in my stomach. Our friendship can be traced to our university days on the Mona Campus of the University of the West Indies.  We formally met while doing the University course: The Making of Ideas in the Americas (UC25X). Anton, (not his real name) is a father of two. He lives in Pennsylvania, United States of America along with his wife.  At age 58 he does not have any underlying health conditions. This diagnosis does not come as a surprise since Anton’s full time job is that of a nursing assistant in a nursing home. He also works part time caring for an elderly HIV positive and dialysis patient. As a health care worker, Anton’s job places him on the frontline against the battle of COVID19. Anton shared that his symptoms began Saturday, March 21. He revealed that he had a temperature of 101:5 degrees Fahrenheit. Additionally, he had a headache, was coughing and had the chills. Realizing that something was wrong with him, Anton called the Emergency Call Center Sunday night. The doctor on duty suggested that he quarantine himself for 14 days. The doctor was not of the view that his situation required any urgency since he had no difficulty breathing nor was he experiencing shortness of breath.  Bright and early Monday morning Anton made his way to his doctor who sent him to be tested. “I did not have a dry cough and my cough was occasional and not consistent. He went on, “when I coughed very little came up, it was white in colour, no rattling, no pain in my chest, when I cough very little discomfort from coughing.” I was concerned about his wife and two children ages 11 and 13 and as such I asked about their status. Anton stated, “my wife was also tested not because she was displaying any symptoms but because she has underlying health conditions, diabetes and asthma. His wife tested negative.  Among Anton’s concerns is his inability to know who he contracted the dreaded and often fatal coronavirus from. He is currently just having some nasal congestion. Anton is still in the initial stages. “I don’t know if I’ll develop any more symptoms that will require me to go to the emergency room. I feel ok right now. His doctor suggested he takes Tylenol if the fever or pain returns and that he follows the guidelines stipulated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Anton added, “I never felt fatigue, I had no problem with taste or smell. However, he was advised by the doctor to call 911 if he developed any respiratory problems.
Testing for COVID19
Anton described the process of testing for the coronavirus.  “A swab was placed up one nostril. It was not painful but uncomfortable. I was asked to take a deep breath and then released it. The whole process took about two (2) minutes.”  The State of Pennsylvania has more than 5000 confirmed cases of the #coronavirus and 63 deaths. The results are usually given within a few days. In the case of Anton he received his results within three days.
Life with COVID19
Anton is heavily involved in his church. “I have a very strong church family.” He added “my family will never be short of anything. How does he spend his days in quarantine? “I keep abreast of the news and as an educator; I educate myself on the virus.  He commented that his two children have all the technology they need. “Their own phone, laptop, desktop, tablets, internet, there is also a house telephone. Anton remarked, “they shout to me from the door or call me on the phone. What about food? Anton replied, “I have enough food at the house and I have friends to get me stuff if I need anything.” In addition to having his immediate family at home, Anton’s sister in law and her son are in the household. He added that they are not showing any symptoms currently. He has taken the responsible action by informing both his employers of his positive test for coronavirus. Not everyone will display symptoms of the coronavirus. In fact some carriers are asymptomatic and will not have any signs of being infected by the novel coronavirus. The World Health Organization (WHO) advises us to wash our hands frequently, avoid large social gathering, avoid touching our faces, sneeze and cough in tissue or elbow. We are also advised to remain at home if we are feeling sick and practice social distancing in order to slow the spread of covid19. To date more than 52,000 people globally have been killed and over 1,002,159 people have been infected by the coronavirus which has been classified as a pandemic by the WHO.  Jamaica has recorded 44 cases of the coronavirus and to date 3 individuals have died. To all those who are health care workers we say thank you. We are indebted to you: you are all on the frontline of this pandemic and as such risk your own health and safety; may God continue to watch over you all. I wish Anton a full and speedy recovery from this respiratory disease which has upended the lives of so many across all continents and geographical boundaries. Let us continue to pray for all those families who have been impacted by the coronavirus. 
In the words of Desmond Tutu, my humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together.
Wayne Campbell is an educator and social commentator with an interest in development policies as they affect culture and or gender issues.
waykam@yahoo.com
@WayneCamo
#COVID19 #WHO #Jamaica #friendship #coronavirus #pandemic #socialdistancing  #selfisolation #quarantine
Editor's Note
Anton returned to work on Tuesday, April 7 after 14 days in self-quarantine. He received clearance from his doctor the previous day. He added his doctor told him that since his body would have developed antibodies to the virus he should not be reinfected. "My first day on the job after recovering from the coronavirus. I'm blessed."

©

Comments

  1. I am extremely pleased to locate this site. I wanted to say thanks to you for this excellent read!! I definitely appreciated every little bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to look at new things you publish. Health LINE

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Promoting Literacy For A World In Transition

The Psychology Of Dunce

Israel Hamas War