A Coloured Christmas

“Christmas is a season not only of rejoicing but of reflection.”- Winston Churchill
Christmas is and has always been my favourite time of the year. I enjoy listening to and singing the Carols. I look forward to attending the Christmas Carol Service at the University Chapel located at the University of the West Indies, Mona Campus. It’s a joy to hear the University Singers. I like the decorations in the stores and in the homes. The cool December breeze we call Christmas breeze is another look forward to Christmas event. There is a sense of peace, hope and goodwill around Christmas. Do you find that people tend to be more generous during the Yuletide Season? It is such a pity this is short lived, only for us return to our normal life. I am not sure if normal is the most appropriate word since have normalized the abnormal in the society. As a youngster I looked forward especially to Christmas Eve. My dad would come home early. Mom would get us ready and then we would all drive uptown in dad’s 1969 Buick Skylark to do a bit of shopping. Each one of us would get a helium filled balloon in addition to a Christmas gift. We were very much aware that Santa Claus was made up and that it was our parents who played that role. My sister Peaches loved teddy bears and she got quite a number of them. My brother, Steve would go for a remote controlled car or train set. I am trying to remember what I got. I recalled getting books occasionally. We would then go KFC since this was the only fast food franchise at the time. Interestingly, I cannot recall my parents purchasing anything for themselves. Perhaps, being born in the month of December added to my love affair of all things Christmas. I can hear some distracters saying Jesus was not born in December, so what, Jesus was born. Get over yourselves! We have Jesus’ birth to thank for the celebration of Christmas. I grew up in a household where we never had a Christmas tree; however, we had Christmas lights. We would decorate the living room window with these lights. As children we called them pepper lights, I am unsure why that name. The lights would blink on and off and were in various colours. Now that I think about it, the Christmas lights remind me of Scotch Bonnet peppers with the various colours.  After a number of years of not decorating I decided for some strange reason I would. I bought some decorations and decorated the living room. I was disappointed that I could not find any decorations which looked like me, a black man. All the decorations I came across were rooted in a White Eurocentric ideology. I thought how sad this is. I was comforted that I am not alone in searching for inclusive decorations. My search led me to across the Atlantic to the United Kingdom.  Alison Burton and Natalie Duvall, both working mums from London, say they had their light bulb moment after realizing their daughters could not see themselves represented in the decorations on their Christmas trees. “We searched everywhere but couldn't find anything available online or on the high street in the UK, except one which had been hand painted black by a local shop owner!” “We feel that inclusion is important for all, especially at Christmas,” Natalie continues. They added, “There have been quite a few studies on the effects of representation in children over the last few years and it has been proven time and time again the importance of seeing yourself represented in a positive light,” the pair explain. We all need affirmation of self. Unfortunately, this is usually not easy to come by especially with the rise of white supremacy on the global scene.  
Christmas No Exception
Natalie and Alison should be commended for being proactive and showing that a spirit of entrepreneurship.  They said, “Christmas is no exception. If you have angels or fairies to hang on your tree, why can't at least one look like you? How do you feel about not seeing any decorations which represent your ethnicity?  Having launched their company, March Muses named because both women are born in March, Natalie and Alison decided to name each of their figurines after an inspirational person of colour or family member who is also born in March. Importantly, there are over three million people of colour and mixed race heritage living in London and Wales. It is only fair that people in these minority groups should see decorations representing their culture and ethnicity. Our children should see themselves not only in Christmas decorations but this representation should be seen in all facets of their lives. Celebrate your heritage this Christmas and may you have fond memories. Merry Christmas.
In the words of Joel Osteen, Christmas is the perfect time to celebrate the love of God and family and to create memories that will last forever. Jesus is God's perfect, indescribable gift. The amazing thing is that not only are we able to receive this gift, but we are able to share it with others on Christmas and every other day of the year.

Wayne Campbell is an educator and social commentator with an interest in development policies as they affect culture and or gender issues.
waykam@yahoo.com
@WayneCamo

#Christmas #MarchMuses
                                                                           ©



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Promoting Literacy For A World In Transition

The Psychology Of Dunce

Israel Hamas War