7:7

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 started out like any other day, however, the events of the day would turn out far from being routine as the afternoon descended and the populace went about their daily schedule. Jamaica lies in an earthquake belt and occasionally the island experiences earth tremors and earthquakes. However, today was a bit different; an earthquake struck Jamaica at approximately 2:10 p.m. According to the US Geographical Survey a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck in the Caribbean Sea between Jamaica and Eastern Cuba at approximately ten minutes after two. The earthquake was centered 139 kilometers (86 miles) northwest of Montego Bay, Jamaica, and 140 kilometers (87 miles) west-southwest of Niquero, Cuba. It hit at 2:10 p.m. (1910 GMT) and the epicenter was a relatively shallow 10 kilometers (6 miles) beneath the surface. The quake also hit the Cayman Islands, leaving cracked roads and what appeared to be sewage spilling from cracked mains. The earthquake was felt as far as in The Bahamas and Miami. The National Weather Service's (NWS) Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said tsunami waves between 1 to 3 feet were possible for the coasts of Jamaica, Cuba, Cayman Islands, Belize, Honduras and Mexico. The National Weather Service later reported that this tsunami alert had passed. I was around my desk completing a power point presentation for my supervisor at the time of the earthquake. I had just had lunch a few minutes prior to the earthquake. At first I did not know what was happening. I felt the desk shaking, and then the building. My office is located on the first floor of a 5 storey building at the Ministry of Education. I work in a small office of less than ten individuals. Within seconds into the earthquake I attempted to go under my desk, however, I quickly realized this was not possible due to the small size of my desk. By this time my colleagues in the office were contemplated what to do. Shortly afterwards we existed the office and went on the corridor where a robust discussion took place. While along the corridors I saw other employees of the Ministry some of whom were rushing to the staircase to evacuate the building.  This most frightening of experience reinforces the point that our places of work and other public places need to have more frequently earthquake and fire drills to order to heighten the awareness regarding what to do during an earthquake. I was one of the few employees who took the emergency escape route as I was guided by a member of the Ministry’s security team to use this facility which is located on the left side of building. After we assembled at the designated meeting point outside we were addressed by the acting Chief Education Officer who informed us that checks were made to the building; she told us to return to work since no damage to the building was found. We did, however, many persons were still agitated. The discussions which followed all focused on the earthquake. A number of government offices closed early and sent home their employees. My mom called me during this time and we shared briefly our experiences. The Gleaner Company was quick on the scene and the photographer took pictures of the staff. A colleague later informed me that I was photographed by The Gleaner. Shortly after arriving home I spoke with my dad about the earthquake, at age 86 my dad told  me this was the strongest he has ever felt. I also called my Uncle Segree who lives in Westmoreland; Aunt Eula who lives in St. James both of whom reported that they felt the earthquake. I also spoke with Aunt Val who lives in St. Mary and she too reported feeling the massive 7:7 earthquake. My sister Susan and my Aunt Winnie both called to check on our status; my aunt informed me that the quake was also felt in Miami. It seems as if all fourteen parishes were impacted by the earthquake. The local has since reported that some structural damages were done to buildings in the Western Jamaica. The local news also reported that a number of students in Western Jamaica suffered panic attacks and had to seek medical attention, however this is not surprising since it’s very likely that these students would have experienced their first earthquake. The experience is rather nerve-wracking. The news also reported that the Social Development Commission building in St. Elizabeth suffered structural damage, so too were a few buildings in Portmore, in the parish of St. Catherine. Additionally, the Bishop Gibson High School in Manchester reported structural damage to their school building. We are very fortunate and blessed in Jamaica as there are no reports of death due to the earthquake. The earthquake of January 28 exposes some weaknesses in Jamaica’s response to an earthquake. Undoubtedly, there is an urgent need for the island to embark on a holistic public education campaign regarding earthquakes. God is good!

Wayne Campbell is an educator and social commentator with an interest in development policies as they affect culture and or gender issues.
waykam@yahoo.com
@WayneCamo
©

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Promoting Literacy For A World In Transition

The Psychology Of Dunce

Israel Hamas War